MCUF Expands Board, Calls for Nominations
The Michigan Credit Union Foundation (MCUF) is seeking passionate, committed and thoughtful candidates for its newly expanded Board of Directors. This is an opportunity to help lead Michigan credit union’s philanthropic arm and guide MCUF in its mission of empowering credit unions to increase financial wellbeing in Michigan.
MCUF Board of Director positions were recently expanded from seven to 11 members to provide additional leadership representation from all credit unions in Michigan, geographically and across asset sizes. In addition, a new young professional board seat was added.
MCUF initiatives help Michigan families, businesses and communities across the state feel the credit union difference. See the 2022 MCUF Impact Report to explore MCUF initiatives including community enrichment grants, financial education and counseling programs and credit union young professional support.
With the new expansion of the board, this is an exciting time to be a part of MCUF leadership! Qualified candidates are encouraged to self-nominate themselves for a MCUF board position. The deadline for Board Nominations is June 8, and board elections will take place on July 18.
MCUF Board Structure:
The MCUF Board of Directors includes one Director from each of the seven Michigan Credit Union League Districts, and three at-large Directors. Two of the at-large seats are based on the median asset size of Michigan credit unions, and the third at-large seat is specified for a young credit union professional under the age of 40. The MCUF board also includes a seat for the Michigan Credit Union League & Affiliates President and Chief Executive Officer or her designee; this position is currently held by Kieran Marion, MCUL Executive Vice President of Advocacy and Communications.
Open MCUF Board of Directors seats this year are:
- District III (Blue Ox and Mid-Michigan Chapters) for a two-year term.
- District IV (Upper Peninsula Chapter) for a two-year term. Current MCUF Board Director Brenda Lippens is seeking re-election to this seat.
- District V (Flint and Capital Area Chapters) for a two-year term. Current MCUF Board Director Dave Brandt is seeking re-election to this seat.
- District VI (Metro East and Oakland County Chapters) for a two-year term.
- District VII (Metro West Chapter) for a one-year term.
- Large Asset Size at-large (above $136,155,805 in assets) for a two-year term. Current MCUF Board Director Debi Southworth is seeking re-election to this seat.
- Small Asset Size at-large (at or below $136,155,805 in assets) for a one-year term.
Qualifications and Responsibilities for the Board:
Board members’ primary duties are to provide leadership and governance for MCUF, contribute expertise and resources, actively participate in meetings and activities, and to represent and promote MCUF with Michigan credit unions.
To qualify for election as a MCUF Board Director a person shall be: (1) a member of, and (2), a director, credit committee, or supervisory committee member, manager/chief executive officer, or senior management employee who reports directly to or is recommended by the manager/chief executive officer of the credit union that is a League member in good standing.
Ideal board candidates include individuals who:
- Have a commitment to MCUF’s mission of cooperatively empowering credit unions to increase financial well-being by supporting community enrichment, financial education, and credit union development initiatives.
- Are familiar with the operation of a charitable 501(c)3 organization.
- Have the capacity to attend meetings and participate in board activities.
- Have the capacity to participate in credit union outreach at the state, chapter or district level to increase awareness, participation and support for the Foundation.
Visit the MCUF website for information about the Foundation’s mission and activities. For a list of current MCUF Board Directors, click here. More information about MCUF board member duties and activities is found here.
Contact MCUF Executive Director Beth Troost at Beth.Troost@mcul.org for more information about the Foundation, or about board meetings and activities.
To Submit Your Self-Nomination: