American 1 Contributed More Than $1 Million to Community in 2019
American 1 Credit Union has been supporting its community through sponsorships, donations, major gifts and volunteer efforts since they were founded in 1950.
“We want to create a lasting impact in the communities we serve,” said Martha Fuerstenau, president/CEO of American 1. “American 1 and our Board of Directors are passionate about contributing to the growth and education of our communities through purposeful donations, sponsorships, and partnerships.”
In 2019, the credit union gave to 255 organizations in Jackson, Lenawee, Hillsdale, Wayne, Washtenaw and Calhoun counties totaling more than $1 million. Some of the most notable giving was $600,000 to the Jackson YMCA toward their capital campaign, and $250,000 to Spring Arbor University for The Arena Sponsored by American 1. An additional $151,287 in funding was gifted to area nonprofit organizations including Hot Air Jubilee, Talons Out Honor Flight, Bright Walls and many more.
“American 1 developed the Community Partnerships department to emphasize the importance of consistent and thoughtful community engagement. I am proud to work for an organization and lead a team that genuinely values community,” said Janelle Merritt, VP of community partnerships.
Other American 1 community initiatives included:
- Partnered with nine credit unions through the So Mi' Chapter of Credit Unions to abolish $2.5 million in medical debt for 3,182 people in surrounding counties
- Joined forces with CP Federal Credit Union to host the 19th Annual Hit ‘em Fore Hospice Golf Benefit and raised a record-breaking $65,000 to benefit the Henry Ford Allegiance Hospice Home
- Provided $10,000 in scholarships to 10 graduating seniors through Skip-a-Pay program
- Donated 15,840 bottles of water to community events
- Contributed 428 hours of Volunteer Time Off by American 1 staff members