Community Reinvestment and Financial Education Grants
Increasing Your Impact
The MCUF is proud to assist credit unions and credit union chapters with credit union social mission activities and expanding community partnerships. Grants are available for credit unions, collaborative groups of credit unions, and credit union chapters developing or implementing community reinvestment or financial education initiatives and partnerships; especially those assisting underbanked, low income, or underserved areas.
Stronger Communities Through Credit Union Initiatives! What Could Your Credit Union Do with a Little Help?
Grants are available from $100 to $10,000 for small- and large-scale initiatives.
Suggested Activities for Community Reinvestment and Financial Education Grants
Grant request to assist with unique credit union or community programs are encouraged in addition to requests to assist with programs expanding on these or similar initiatives:
- Provide support for skilled trades or alternative education programs enhanced with financial education.
- Create and place foreign language media to expand awareness about credit union membership benefits, services, financial education, or financial counseling.
- Reward community members who complete an in-house or community financial counseling or a financial education program with sponsored certificate accounts or mini-IDA accounts.
- Purchase initial supplies to start an in-school branch program.
- Assist small businesses with matching funds for your micro-business grants or other support activities.
- Host a Financial Education Fair in your community
- Implement financial education programs or community events using Biz Kid$ materials, episodes or lesson plans.
- Sponsor a Millionaire's Club program for high schools or community youth organizations.
- Implement alternative services to help community members who are utilizing payday lenders or who are unable to open a normal conventional checking or credit account.
- Reach underserved areas by getting help with start-up costs for a mobile branch.
Have an idea? Not sure? Let’s chat!
All it takes to get started is a personal phone conversation to explore funding for your initiative. Contact us to explore your impact ideas and funding possibilities.
Ready to Apply?
Step 1: Contact MCUF Executive Director to explore the fit between your proposed grant initiative and current MCUF funding goals. Call 1-800-262-6285, ext. 453 or email Beth.Troost@mcul.org
Step 2: Complete the streamlined online grant application
MCUF grant funding evaluation will be based on the extent that the proposed activities meet these considerations:
- Assisting, advancing, and strengthening the Michigan Credit Union movement
- Addressing problems and creating sustainable solutions
- Identifying populations or service areas to be affected
- Incorporating an evaluation method that can demonstrate outcomes
- Involving other agencies or institutions in a collaborative manner
- Promoting programs that can be replicated or shared with other credit unions