Community Reinvestment Initiative
People Helping People
The 2018 Community Reinvestment Report reflects these developments, and as our industry has reached out to consumers, consumers have reached back, leading to significant growth in key sectors across the board. These results echo Michigan’s growing support for our industry with increased membership levels, favorable trust rankings and increased lending statewide.
CRI and the Credit Union Philosophy
The Community Reinvestment Initiative is a call to action for Michigan’s credit unions. CRI challenges credit unions to elevate their social mission and community involvement to a strategic level, to make community involvement standard operating procedure.
This involves two parts: CRI assists credit unions in implementing programs and products to assist members; and CRI gathers and reports data on credit union community involvement through the CRI Survey and the CRI Aggregate Report.
The CRI Survey data is used to create the CRI Aggregate Report, an advocacy piece given to lawmakers in Washington, DC and Michigan. Such a strategy communicates clearly a credit union’s commitment to their neighborhoods and communities, builds consumer awareness and community good will, and finally, helps protect the credit union tax exemption.
Tracking and Reporting Your Credit Union's CRI
Your input is invaluable in our ability to report the many ways in which credit union membership benefits members and the broader community. The survey will cover several topic areas including financial counseling, financial education and volunteerism/community involvement.
Tracking Your Progress
Below are some helpful resources to help you track your efforts throughout the year.
- Download this Community Outreach Tracking Spreadsheet for a simple tracking tool
- Download this Community Outreach Reporting Guide for tips on what to track, how to document, reporting your impact and telling your story.
- Download this Industry Awards Webinar to hear tips and tricks from past judges and award winners to successfully document and share your story
Reporting Your Initiatives
Each year, MCUL conducts a CRI survey of its credit unions. CRI Survey data is used to create the CRI Aggregate Report, an advocacy piece given to lawmakers in Washington, D.C. and Michigan. Such a strategy communicates clearly a credit union’s commitment to their neighborhoods and communities, builds consumer awareness and community good will, and finally, helps protect the credit union tax exemption.
Completing the Survey
- Print out the survey questions in advance and gather the information you need to complete the survey
- Each credit union will access the survey with a unique link. Once you have all of the necessary information, open this file and locate your credit union by name
- Select (or copy/paste) the URL link listed for your credit union to access the online survey for your credit union. Enter your data
- Be sure to hit "Submit" at the end of the survey so your responses are recorded
Need assistance? Contact Beth Troost at email@example.com or call (800) 262-6285, ext. 453. Thank you for helping to tell the collective credit union story!
Go to main navigation