Don't Tax My CU
The credit union federal tax exemption is rooted in the not-for-profit, cooperative nature of credit unions, not by the size of the credit union or the products and services that are offered. The MCUL & Affiliates and the Credit Union National Association continue to highlight the Credit Union Difference, which reinforces the uniqueness of credit unions, in structure and service, from other financial institution. Below are resources for you and your credit union to use as you continue to advocate for credit union federal tax exemption.
Value of the Credit Union Tax Exemption
- Credit Union Value Proposition Talking Points
- Straight to the Point: Credit Unions are the Best Option For Consumers to Conduct Their Financial Services
- Michigan Specific Data on the Benefits of Credit Union Membership
Credit Union vs. Bank Comparisons
- Frequently Requested Credit Union/Bank Comparisons
- Commercial Banks & Credit Unions: Facts, Fallacies, and Recent Trends
- Letter from Bill Cheney to the members of the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board regarding the statements regarding the credit union tax exemption in their report on tax reform options. (9/01/10)
- Letter from the NCUA Chairman Debbie Matz to Bill Cheney Regarding the Credit Union Tax Status. (11/29/10)
- Letter Regarding Hearing in "Public Charity Organizational Issues, Unrelated Business Income Tax, and the Revised Form 990."